Saturday, April 29, 2006

Working The Room at the Vet's Office: Bob Hope Would Be Proud!

I might have mentioned here before... I love to go. And today we went to the vet's office for my 6 month checkup and shots.

We left home during a break in this morning's storm. To show my appreciation to Mom, from the constraints of my backseat belt, I alternately rested my head on her shoulder and gently licked her cheek. Of course, I had to take the occasional break to shnooof the air conditioning!

We arrived at the vet's office to find a crowded waiting room. There were small dogs; there were large dogs. There were sick dogs; there were scared dogs. And they were all there to be entertained. So, for 53 minutes, much to Mom's dismay, entertain I did! I know my commands, and sit I shall... but there's not a command in the world to keep me from sweeping the floor with my tail and smiling, smiling, smiling! And if the occasional "woo woo woo" parts my lips, am I to blame?

I believe I brought a little sunshine into Betty's day, and she needed that since she was suffering from a mild case of sloopy poopy.

And the little PomPom, who had a fear of large dogs since one attacked her... I think my gentle kisses helped her overcome at least some of her fears. After all, she was willingly coming out of her little 'purse' to watch me!

And the two little chewawas couldn't keep their eyes off me!

Of course, there was the one brief intermission... when the Mom of the pit bull asked us to all move to one side of the room, because he was "cantankerous"... HER words, not MINE. MINE would be... scarey as hell! To everyone's relief, he passed right through the waiting room to a maximum security kennel.

My checkup was short, but pleasant. Dr. B was out of town, so I saw Dr. C. I like Dr. B a little better, only because she "gets" me and Mom. Dr. C is nice though, even though he seems a little suspicious of my good nature! So, I got a shot and a squirt up the nose. The good thing is that Dr. C won't get kennel cough either. No lumps, no bumps, good heart, clear lungs, a pokey in the rear and my nails clipped! I'm good for another 6 months!

The trip home was as the trip there. And the water bowl was a welcome sight at home!

The adventure, for whatever reason, seemed a little tiring for Mom. She went to lunch with Sammy's Mom and Dad (Sammy went to the vet this morning, too!). They must have left us home so they could commisserate or some such thing. And when she got home, we took a good long nap.

Ok, I'll admit it... I'm a little tired, too.

But the troops had to be entertained. It was the least I could do, given the opportunity and the circumstances. So long as there is need, the CSO (Comet Service Organization) show must go on!

But for now... I must rest and reflect on the day.

No comments: